Saturday, September 5, 2009

Pleasure in the Mundane

There are some days, at the end of which, you feel delighted and proud. This is one of those days. There was pleasure in the entire experience, each moment.

The day was filled with extraordinary events that are extra ordinary in nature. Among my favorites was the choice to spend $5 on a chai tea and enjoy the newspaper outdoors sitting on a couch during the noon hour. It was warm, peaceful. Like being god of my world and ordering up the perfect temperature, interesting news stories, perfect soy chai, right amount of shade, minimum distractions and a clean, comfy couch to enjoy it all on. It wasn't my seat at the outer table on Provo island (the scene pictured at left on blog, but it felt just as idealic.

Then there was the cleaning of the washing machine and dryer. Since when is that fun or interesting? It was. The freedom to care enough, to have time enough and to know with great certainty that the wiping away of dust and gunk has a qualitative impact on the quality of my life. Really! The difference it makes to our subconscious whether our dirty clothes are plopped into an unclean or pristine washing machine. I even moved the wipe in and out of the hard-to-reach crevice where the lid rotates up and down. It was an exhibition of personal power and celebration of my freedom to create the context of my world.

Too drunk on delight? I think it has to do with the fact that school starts next week. Teachers back on Tuesday, kids back on Wednesday. This is the final weekend of a carefree summer. My last Saturday that isn't sandwiched between working Friday and Monday for some time. That's a large part of what made wiping down every nook and cranny of the washing machine such a joy.

Not one singularly spectacular event or achievement all day. Instead, an entire day of perfect peace because I chose each activity in each moment, including the choice to find it profoundly enjoyable.

I'm nearing the end of days that are entirely of my choosing. How'd I spend one of the precious few that remain?

8:30am Walk Chocolate
9:05am Meet my sister and aunt at my Mom's
The four of us walk at a regional park and then sit around and talk a while.
11:00am Go to bank and pick-up some cash. Wait in a line while listening to music.
11:20am Order a chai tea at Starbucks and sit on an outdoor couch in the shade reading the newspaper
Noon Call an old friend and catch up, still outdoors in the shade
1:00pm Coaching call to one of my four coach-ees.
2:00pm Leisurely, thorough cleaning around the house.
5:30pm Walk Chocolate
6:15pm Clean decks, water plants
8:00pm Get in Sauna. Inside, read a little of both Shock Syndrome and The Shack
9:00pm Talk with sis
9:30pm Talk with sweetheart
10:30pm Snack
11:00pm Blog

I'm sure starting the day with a walk with family around one of my favorite parks help set the tone. I can't remember the last time we all got together for a casual walk and talk. Four females sitting in peace and comfort content to hear what was on the minds of each. More love. A day seeded with love has to sprout magical moments.

Even I, fan of bliss that I am, end the day bewildered by the excess.

No comments:

Post a Comment