Friday, September 4, 2009

Empowerment

Back in 1994, I read that year's edition of What Color is Your Parachute (Bolles). I did each of the exercises, plus the bonus points for actually creating a flower of my ideal career: Empowerment.

The funny and slightly disappointing aspect was that while it was clear I wanted to create and edit materials that I used to supplement my speaking about empowerment, the topic, the vehicle, was missing. No area was identified. It wasn't empowerment through medicine, or education or nutrition or financial freedom. Just empowerment! All kinds of people, all ages, all types of background.

Between my experience with my first paid reiki attunement and a conversation with someone I'm coaching this morning, I figured out that what has me prefer giving attunements over doing healing sessions, is that I seek to empower more than heal. I want others to have the ability to balance their own energy, to stop an unnecessary ache and so on. It's my goal that each person who receives an attunement from me is able to take greater charge of their health and their circumstances.

When I think of it as just about giving attunements, or "selling" reiki, I am not as motivated. I got no interest in selling anything. None. But when I remember that my motivation is empowerment, I get inspired.

I declared last month that I intend to cause 100 attunements by the time 2009 ends. I've got a lot to do to make that happen. When I think of doing 100 or selling 100, little action is taken.

When I think of empowering 100 people to take charge of their health, I make things happen.

I am empowered.

No comments:

Post a Comment