Saturday, August 22, 2009

Writings of my Father

My love of words to explore worlds is genetic. Paternal aunts, uncles and cousins all create exquisite poetry, musings and stories.

Had my father lived into the 21st century, no doubt he'd have a well-followed blog. To remember the year he died, I always have to first remember the year I got married. 1995? Graduating law school, meeting my ex-husband and introducing my then fiance to my dying father during his last day's in the hospital all happened within a year's time. December 1994 to 1996 was a period of significant transition.

I remember getting a phone call from my Aunt Mildred, "Robin, your father expired..." Inspire, expire, breathe in, breathe out, live, die, create, destroyed. Here, gone.

He was such an incredible man. He loved to philosophize about the occurences that make up what we call our lives.

I remember going to my Grandmother's home on the eve of the funeral. Everyone was passing around his journals, enjoying his commentary, letters and thoughts. These were collected and typed and distributed by my Uncle Therman so that the entire family would have a piece of "Bubba" to read and remember him by.

I still have the originals as well as my copies. Better than treasure.

One cousin, Jaha, shared a particularly special and close relationship with him and remains moved by the spirit of my father. She's posted several pieces from the collection on her blog at jahasworld.blogspot.com/. Put "from Bubba's journal" in the search box at the top of her blog to see the resemblance.

For ease...here are a couple:
History
Prayer
I'm a problem-solver if nothing else
Letter to a Woman--a taste of my father's "character"

No comments:

Post a Comment