Monday, January 7, 2008

The Best

The news seemed to be filled with stories about the best tonight. A baseballer spoke about entering the Hall of Fame, or maybe not thanks to steroid use accusations. Hillary Clinton nearly cried trying to express that she is striving to become President, not just for the sake of politics but because she truly believes in her cause, because she believes she'd be best for the country. She really believes it. Right or wrong, it is in her heart.

I'm still thinking about wanting and not wanting. Watching all the stories helped me cognitively appreciate what motivates the successful at anything...a genuine belief that they are capable of being the best at their (a)vocation and a heartfelt desire to make it so.

I was reminded that I have always been similarly motivated. When I wrote my book, I believed I was able to make a uniquely important contribution to the education of parents in my state. Right or wrong, it was in my heart.

I make the same dish for nearly all the family get-togethers. I do it best, or so they still believe. My favorite jobs have always been those when I had the opportunity to let some special gift or talent shine. I love teaching for this reason. I love trying to explain something in a way that makes it impossible not to understand. The art of informing, challenging and inspiring. It's cool stuff.

There are certainly plenty of things for which being the best is a nonstarter. Best dancer...not gonna happen and I'm not motivated to try. I did shoot for best teacher, or at least the highest credentials they award. Not nearly as much fun as actually teaching, but I got it done. Shooting for best teacher ever, Teacher of the Year, or some such...not so motivated. I'm looking for a "best" that resonates with my heart, mind and soul.

I've decided to challenge myself to uncover how I desire to express My Best. To what objective would I be delighted to devote myself? It is the cure for my clear case of contentment.

I've got no answer today. The cure is being contemplated. I have a mesmerizing question capable of moving me closer to one of my resolutions...leaving 2008 even more fulfilled than I entered.

No comments:

Post a Comment