Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Don’t fight the Universe


At the beginning of the school year I found out I'd be teaching mostly government and a couple economics classes.  Usually it's the reverse.  I LOVE teaching economics.  Don't get me wrong, I love teaching period, so teaching Government works, too.  Given I have a law degree, I suppose it actually makes more sense.  

But when I read the newspaper, it's the Business section I go to first.  My favorite magazines?  Kiplinger's, Wired and The Economist.  I don't have time for subscriptions, but they're my go-to fav's when I'm in the airport or planning a relaxing day of pleasure reading.  

I contacted the school's counselor, the scheduler, and asked to switch it back around.  Why are they giving the new teacher my favorite classes???  Last year 3 Econ, 1 Law and 1 Gov. This year 3 Gov, 1 Law and 1 Econ.  Though I initially considered fighting it, I just went with it.

Realizing that my Government instruction wasn't as beefy as my Econ, I signed up for professional development opportunities.  My district was offering a series of lectures and materials on Constitutional Communities.  I signed up.  Then I saw something for a workshop series I'd considered year-after-year.  This time I participated.  The experience broadened my teaching.

So when an opportunity to apply for several grants for social studies to travel and study abroad showed up, I was in the spirit of it all and applied.  Making a long story only slightly shorter…Because I was reassigned more government classes, I took on new professional development which made me a better candidate for the study abroad programs.  

In July I'll spend a week studying the slave trade in Barbados.

Don't fight the universe.  Just let it bless you.


Robin Davis Fesseha, JD, NBCT
Reid High School

No comments:

Post a Comment