Saturday, May 24, 2008

New life

The front half of my home is being painted as I type. Brighter colors, whiter colors. Clarity and insights.

They painted the ceiling first. It was the primary reason I embarked on painting the living room...again. I painted it a light shade of green four years ago, but left the ceiling the same drab color I erased from the walls.

A short while into spraying the ceiling the white with a slight tint of blue, the primary painter, Filiberto, asked me to come check it out. I did. Fantastic. When I saw the difference it made, just painting brightness onto the ceiling, I realized I probably could have kept the walls their green.

At the last minute I decided to ask him to do the kitchen too. In nine years living here, I never painted the kitchen before today. The nine years worth of yellowing on that tan was in as much need of lighter and brighter as the living room's ceiling. Now the place is so bright. A whole new life.

It is so fitting. Funny how I've been wanting to make my living room an attractive space for years now. The furniture I first bought eight years ago was a good start. For me, it was a good start. The painting four years ago with a light shade of green in the living area to match what I already owned made sense too.

Now, like my new vision of myself as artist
my new vision of myself as destined to live in the Caribbean
my new certainty and vision of Luzca's tale as a completed novel
I've got a completed and certain view of my living room.

The completed view made picking the right color easy. I've already got in view the furniture. When I bought the stuff eight years ago, I was open to whatever caught my eye. In other words, I had no purpose, no goal, no clue. And that worked out ok. Just ok.

Having the clarity of a complete picture works better. Buying new light fixtures will go a lot easier with a clear picture. The best way to describe the mood is light, relaxed and comfortable.

So I keep a clear a goal in my mind. I commit to it, starting at the top. Picking out the right accessory to shine my light becomes easy. The result is lighter living. Sounds about right.

As goes the home, so goes the soul.
As goes the soul, so goes the home.

No comments:

Post a Comment